Sunday, June 12, 2016

West End Watch Company "Secundus"

This is my newest eBay find. Gold filled, fixed lug case measures just 20.2 by 37.8 mm.   Signed three times--dial, movement and inside case back.  From what I can gather on Wikipedia the West End Watch Company sold pocket watches, and later wrist watches, in British colonial India and elsewhere in Asia, beginning in the late 1800's.  My grandfather was stationed in India during WWII with the British Army, but this watch probably predates his time there--from the style, looks to be early 1930's.  "Secundus" was apparently a much used model name that denoted the company's higher end line of watches.  The band is not original and was modified by me to fit the 13 mm wire lugs--I have yet to find a "go to" watch band for small wire lugs.  Even though this band is probably more 1940's-1950's vintage I think it looks okay.  Keeps time well and is comfortable on the wrist. 



West End Watch Co. "Secundus" c. 1930's 
20 micron rolled gold case, wire lugs, original radium dial and hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment