Saturday, March 12, 2016

Not a small watch, but vintage... with a very interesting history.

So before getting to some of the little 1930's and 40's pieces I named this blog for... we have what is now the largest watch in my collection, measuring a whopping 48 x 25 cm without the crown.  I'm a sucker for exploding Arabic numerals and this watch easily caught my eye.

It's powered by a generic Swiss movement in a .935 silver case with Swiss hallmarks, but what makes it really interesting is its provenance.  The inscription on the back reads "Gaetano Catalano Gonzaga," who apparently was an  Italian naval officer and Duke of Cirella, Majera and Grisolia.  He served in both World Wars and was reportedly close to King Vitorio Emanuele III.

The watch was purchased at an estate sale in California, with a note stating that it was a gift from a Ms. "Iris Geode" (spelling error or her stripper name?!), "to Gitano, who was married at the time."

It is fitted with what I believe to be its original band, which attaches from inside the case!  The "keeper" was missing, so its currently wearing a black lizard one that I had lying around.  The buckle has English hallmarks from 1917 in London and a "C.M." maker's mark, which may refer to a Charles Maas of London who made small items in silver (mostly tobacco pipes with silver decoration).  The band material appears to be synthetic, which would have to be rayon or acetate based on its age.  The buckle is firmly sewn into the band and although oversized, appears to be original.

On the dial is printed "Zino," but I could not find any reference to this brand/maker/jeweler.  The curved glass appears to also be original, as do the hands.  It was missing all four case screws, and the ones I temporarily replaced are too long.  Somebody previously made a mess of the case screw holes--there are scratches at all 4 points--and I suspect the originals were rusted solid.  Also, the crown is not original, but sooner or later I'll find one that matches.

I look forward to finding out more about this interesting piece--if you are reading this and have any clues, please post a comment!





c.1917 "Zino" Sterling Silver Watch with Exploded Dial and Original Band

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have this watch I'd love to hear more about it.

    I am particularly interested in watches of this era and they comprise the backbone of my collection.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I've got a Zino watch very simular to this one, except it has tonneau shaped case and with wire lugs. As David there I love these old exploding dial watches. Search #zinowatch on instagram if you want to see it. Alex

    ReplyDelete